The Ionia County Youth Advisory Council had the privilege of hosting two speakers at their February 16th, 2017 meeting.
Norma Sower from Spectrum Health Safe Drive gave an interactive presentation about the dangers of marijuana. YACers got to try out the Marijuana Fatal vision goggles and participate in a number of activities that show how marijuana affects your perception and why it is dangerous to use marijuana then drive.
Some facts the YACers learned about marijuana:
- chronic marijuana use (chronic marijuana use is considered to be once a month) while your brain is still developing can lead to an 8 point decrease in IQ as an adult
- 1 in 6 teens who use marijuana become addicted
- Heavy marijuana use leads to lower satisfaction in life
- Marijuana users have lower grades, are less likely to graduate, and less likely to enroll in college than non-marijuana users
- Marijuana users are more likely to be unemployed
Want to try out the Marijuana Fatal Vision goggles yourself? Norma Sower will be at the 7th Annual Strive 2 Arrive Alive in October, be sure to register to be there!
The YACers also had the opportunity to hear from Anthony Ianni, a former MSU Basketball Player who travels around the country to share his anti-bullying message. His motivation speech was a GREAT kick-off to No Worries Week, where the YACers will be spreading messages of kindness to their schools and communities. His past experiences of letting his actions speak for themselves is a great example to follow and to live by.
Anthony Ianni had a great message: The Harder You Work, The More You Earn. The YACers hope to take this message and incorporate it into their own lives.